Understanding your medical insurance benefits and out-of-pocket costs can be confusing. Making sense of your mental he…
About Dr. Hanley
There are many things that get in the way of people living more fulfilled lives. Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, troubled relationships, trauma, and behavior problems can cause tremendous emotional pain for individuals, their families, and friends. As a fully licensed Clinical Psychologist I use my training, experience, empathy, and understanding of how the mind works to help create a safe, nonjudgmental space where a collaborative and therapeutic process can occur. The end result is often a fuller understanding of the origins of emotional distress and a new freedom from unsatisfying patterns of living.
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, BA in Psychology
- University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI, MA in Clinical Psychology
- University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Michigan Psychoanalytic Institute, Farmington Hills, MI,
Other Professional Activities
- Adjunct Instructor at the University of Detroit Mercy (Classes taught: Adult Development and Aging; Death and Dying; Personality Disorders)
- Clinical Supervisor for Ph.D. students. University of Detroit Mercy.
- American Psychological Association
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Michigan Psychological Association
- Michigan Psychoanalytic Society
- Society for the Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration
Presentations and publications
- Hanley, S. J. (2000). Cognitive complexity of gambling decisions. Poster session presented (honorable mention) at the Fall convention of the Michigan Psychological Association, Novi, MI.
- Hanley S. J., & Abell, S. C. (2002). Maslow and relatedness: Creating an interpersonal model of self-actualization. Journal of Humanistic Psychology 42 (4), 37-57.
- Hanley, S. J. (2008). Psychoanalytic theory. In W. A. Darity (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 2nd edition (Vol. 6, pp. 576-578). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Hanley, S. J. (2008). Psychotherapy. In W. A. Darity (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 2nd edition (Vol. 6, pp. 598-601). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Hatcher, S. L., Shields, C. C., Wierba, E. E., Hatcher-Ross, J. L. & Hanley, S. J. College Peer Counselor Teaching Modalities: Sequelae in the Life and Work of Graduates, Teaching of Psychology (in press)