Announcing: The Psychogenealogist This new site explores the spaces where psychology, genealogy, and history converge -…
About Dr. Hanley
There are many things that get in the way of people living more fulfilled lives. Depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, troubled relationships, trauma, and behavior problems can cause tremendous emotional pain for individuals, their families, and friends. As a fully licensed Clinical Psychologist I use my training, experience, empathy, and understanding of how the mind works to help create a safe, nonjudgmental space where a collaborative and therapeutic process can occur. The end result is often a fuller understanding of the origins of emotional distress and a new freedom from unsatisfying patterns of living.
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, BA in Psychology
- University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI, MA in Clinical Psychology
- University of Detroit Mercy, Detroit, MI, Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Michigan Psychoanalytic Institute, Farmington Hills, MI,
Other Professional Activities
- Adjunct Instructor at the University of Detroit Mercy (Classes taught: Adult Development and Aging; Death and Dying; Personality Disorders)
- Clinical Supervisor for Ph.D. students. University of Detroit Mercy.
- American Psychological Association
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Michigan Psychological Association
- Michigan Psychoanalytic Society
- Society for the Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration
Presentations and publications
- Hanley, S. J. (2000). Cognitive complexity of gambling decisions. Poster session presented (honorable mention) at the Fall convention of the Michigan Psychological Association, Novi, MI.
- Hanley S. J., & Abell, S. C. (2002). Maslow and relatedness: Creating an interpersonal model of self-actualization. Journal of Humanistic Psychology 42 (4), 37-57.
- Hanley, S. J. (2008). Psychoanalytic theory. In W. A. Darity (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 2nd edition (Vol. 6, pp. 576-578). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Hanley, S. J. (2008). Psychotherapy. In W. A. Darity (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences, 2nd edition (Vol. 6, pp. 598-601). Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Hatcher, S. L., Shields, C. C., Wierba, E. E., Hatcher-Ross, J. L. & Hanley, S. J. College Peer Counselor Teaching Modalities: Sequelae in the Life and Work of Graduates, Teaching of Psychology (in press)